Continuity Communications Analyst (NA-43)
: Department of Energy (DOE) Continuity Program Office in Germantown, Maryland
This position is for a junior- to mid-level Continuity of Operations Communications Subject Matter Expert and Analyst to assist NA-43, the Continuity Program Office (CPO), and CPO Manager,
in periodically assessing the state of DOE Continuity Program communications preparedness, equipment status, directives, policies, security, training, drills, and exercises (TT&E).
This support can include the communications planning, conduct, and evaluation of COOP exercises, utilizing Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Homeland Security Exercise Evaluation Program
(HSEEP) guidelines, in support of the DOE Continuity mission and goals, and validation of DOE COOP plans and procedures in accordance with Presidential Preparedness Directive 40 (PPD 40):
“National Continuity Policy,” OSTP/OMB Directive D-16-1, and Federal Continuity Directives 1 and 2 (FCD 1 and 2). Further, the position requires an individual who is proficient in writing
polished reports, preparing PowerPoint presentations, and can otherwise articulate on matters relevant to the above, clearly and concisely.
- Review and document the extent of present DOE Continuity Program communications preparedness, readiness, security, training, drills, and exercises.
- Provide programmatic support to the office for site communication assistance, communication system readiness, COMSEC administration, communications records management, maintaining various databases, and other tasks assigned by the manager.
- Technical support will include, but not be limited to communications equipment operations, developing and providing Continuity Program communications preparedness, readiness, security, and procedure documentation appropriate for the various functions and activities of DOE.
- Assist in organizing and facilitating the scheduling and evaluation of the various Continuity communication programs using technical specialists and subject matter experts.
- Assist in the coordination of communications support requirements required to support COOP planning and readiness.
- Assist in the CPO meeting requirements for Essential Functions and Records Management.
- Support the Communications and Information Management functions (unclassified and classified) functions within the CPO.
- Attend all inter- and intra-agency meetings (classified and unclassified) that support alternate site communication activities.
- Must be prepared to immediately assist or augment staffing support of the designated Continuity facility in the event of a COGCON activation.
- May be required work more than 8 hours per day under COOP activation or COOP exercise conditions.
- Bachelor’s Degree (desired fields include Emergency Management, First Responder, Antiterrorism, Security fields or equivalent) or 5+ years of professional experience in a related field in addition to experience requirements.
- Skilled in the use of continuity communications assets; specifically, HF-ALE, and landline and portable secure telephone systems.
- Skilled in the use of databases and spreadsheets; comfortable extrapolating information from multiple databases and generating reports on the results.
- Solid writing skills, particularly regarding report writing and briefing preparation.
- Extensive experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced word processing using Microsoft Word, as well as Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat.
- Skilled in articulating complex issues at a level easily understood, in both oral and written form.
- Must be an independent self-starter with excellent organizational skills, an ability to multitask, and comfortable working with a team of technical experts in varying fields of security and emergency operations disciplines.
- A thorough working knowledge of OSTP/OMB Directive D-16-1.
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills in the creation of documents and procedures.
- Willingness to work directly with clients in an environment that changes rapidly; must possess a mature approach to the personal interactions between a consultant and the client.
- Able to sit for extended periods and perform work in an office environment, including extensive use of computers, under sometimes stressful conditions.
- Able to work after hours, extended shifts, and on weekends when required during emergency responses and exercises. Parking is available on site.
- Travel will be required. Travel will be best cost to the government and only economy airfare and economy class rental cars will be allowed.
- Must meet minimal security training and awareness for NA-40 personnel.
- Must meet minimal security training and awareness for SCIF personnel.
- Able to lift 50 pounds, carry your own luggage, and walk up to a quarter of a mile to work locations.
- DOE site access requires the qualified candidate be a U.S. citizen, have a valid Top-Secret security clearance, and obtain a DOE “Q” security clearance within 30 days of employment. The candidate’s written consent to conduct a background check for the purposes of obtaining a security clearance will be required as a condition of employment.
- Certain positions requiring a security clearance may require the periodic successful completion of a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
- Ongoing reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal substances will be conducted as a requirement for ongoing access to DOE sites. The candidate’s written consent to conduct such tests will be required as a condition of employment.
Desired or Preferred Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of OSTP/OMB Directive D-16-1, PPD-40, FEMA FCD 1 and 2, FEMA HSEEP, Alternate EOC concepts and operations, and SCIF support.
- Experience with the DOE Complex, including knowledge of DOE 150-series Orders (Continuity Programs and Emergency Management) strongly desired.
- Experience with DOE sites strongly desired.
Please e-mail your résumé to: email@example.com
Or FAX it to:
Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/M/F/Vet/Disabled (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules.)