Security Specialist - EHSS 42
: Germantown, MD
Security Specialist supporting the Office of Information Security (EHSS-42) at the Department of Energy (DOE) in Germantown, MD. The position serves primarily as an Auditor assisting in the conduct of surveys to provide assurance to the Associate Under Secretary for Environment, Health, Safety and Security (EHSS) Secretary, Departmental Elements, and other government agencies that have Safeguards and Security (S&S) interests and activities. The position requires an active Top Secret (TS) / "Q" security clearance.
- Assist the Team Lead to establish and maintain a schedule for conducting surveys in accordance with applicable national and DOE policy standards.
- Ensure that surveys are conducted as scheduled and/or as required for security activities, such as the granting or termination of a Facilities Clearance.
- Ensure that surveys evaluate all S&S topics relating to Program Management Operations, Physical Protection, Protective Force, Information Security, Personnel Security, and Materials Control and Accountability that are applicable at the facility/site being surveyed.
- Ensure that all findings identified during surveys are tracked until resolution.
- Ensure that the results of surveys are reported in the DOE Safeguards and Security Information Management System (SSIMS).
- Ensure that corrective actions for issues identified in surveys and self-assessments are implemented in a timely and effective manner, and validate the effectiveness of corrective actions to prevent recurrence of the issues.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in such fields as criminal justice, security management, or security operations.
- 10+ years’ experience within the field of nuclear safeguards and security.
- Possess an excellent working knowledge of the protection of classified matter, computer security, physical security, information security, special nuclear materials, protective forces, and the protection of property and assets.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate the application of a wide range of security requirements, plans, systems, and procedures sufficient to evaluate compliance with regulations, and standards and the overall effectiveness of a program.
- Demonstrated knowledge of techniques to protect special nuclear materials classified documents and information against diversion, theft, sabotage, and espionage.
- Ability to provide well-written and concise analytical reports and to include recommendations using sponsor formats; reports should provide sufficient detail to enable the government to make informed S&S decisions.
- Ability to work independently with limited guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and subject areas.
- Ability to work Monday through Friday in office in Germantown, MD.
- Able to travel up to 10%.
- Ability to sit for extended periods and perform work in an office environment, including extensive use of computers.
- DOE site access will require the qualified candidate be a U.S. citizen with an ACTIVE DOE Q security clearance or DOD TS equivalent. The candidate’s written consent to conduct a background check for the purposes of maintaining a security clearance will be required as a condition of employment.
- Certain positions requiring a security clearance may require the periodic successful completion of a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
- Pre-employment and ongoing reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal substances will be conducted as a requirement for ongoing access to DOE sites. The candidate’s written consent to conduct such tests will be required as a condition of employment.
- This position requires proof of COVID vaccination to be provided by the date of hire unless an accommodation request has been provided and granted pursuant to federal law by the date of hire.
- Experience in the DOE Complex, specifically in Safeguards and Security (S&S).
- Knowledge of DOE sites and types of operation.
Please e-mail your résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/M/F/Vet/Disabled (Compliant with the new VEVRAA and Section 503 rules.)